Saturday, August 9, 2014

August Grades 5-6 Book Club: Seven Wonders: The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis


For August's Book Club, we read Seven Wonders: The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis. Those attending were Ben, Evan and Harry.  Here are our thoughts...

If I could be a character from this book it would be:

Harry: I wouldn't want to be any character from this book. Most of the characters didn't have good explanations. And a lot of the characters die when they turn 14 and I wouldn't want that.

Ben: I'd like to be Marco because he's so good at sports. I would want to get the treatment.

Evan: I would like to be Cass because of his memory.

Ben: You would never have to worry about learning a second language.


Would you want to become one of the Select?

Evan: Yes, but it depends on whether there's a cure or not.

Harry: No, I would not want to be a Select unless they discovered a cure.

Ben: Yes, so I could summon flesh-eating piranha squirrels (and long story of what he's do with the army of squirrels).


If you were to become one of the Select, whether you wanted to or not, what would your special skill be that would add to the group dynamic? Name a skill that you actually possess and one that you would think you would like to have.

Evan: I could summon one of anything with my hands. I could eat through anything and that is my real skill. I am also invincible. Shape-shifting is something that I would like to possess.

Harry: I would like to possess the skill of one of the elements (fire, air, etc.). Drawing would be my skill. Another skill would be my ability to read the future by guessing what would happen after certain things.


Ben: My skill that I already possess is that I can summon cannibalistic flesh-eating squirrels. My power that I would like to have is to put duct-tape on anyone's mouth at any time.


Would you want to have Torquin's job? Do you think he's as thickheaded as he seems?

Evan: No, I do not want to be unsmart.

Harry: I would not want to have his job and he is as thickheaded as he seems.

Ben: I would not want to have his job and he is as thickheaded as he seems.


Do you agree with Marco's decision to run off with the Loculus?

Eva: I think that she should have because her father had a gun so she really couldn't fight back when he was abusing her.

Harry: I think she should have run away. Her dad was horrible. In the end, she got away from her dad and he was arrested.

Cam: And no one got killed. Except for Mickey's toe.


Do you think that Marco is a bad person by running away? Or is Professor Bhegad because he kept things from the kids?

Ben: Marco is bad and PB is not. PB is a really good person.

Evan: Marco might have been taken. We don't know he ran away. Maybe the bad monks came back.

Harry:The Professor maybe and I have conflicting feelings about Marco.


Please rate this book from 1-5, with 5 being the best:

Ben: I would rank it 7.2/800 but I loved this book. I know this doesn't make sense.

Evan: I would rank it a 5. I liked it and hated it.

Harry: I would rank the book a 4. It was good but it had a few plot holes.

The book for the next Book Club meeting is The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier. We will be meeting on Wednesday, September 10th at 3:00 p.m. Copies of this book will be available behind the Circulation Desk within the next few days. Please come with recommendations for October's Book Club selection. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

June Grades 5 & 6 Book Club: Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor

  For June's Book Club, we read the book  Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor   by Ally Carter.  Nicole, Natalie, and Julianna were...