Wednesday, September 9, 2015

August Grades 5-6 Book Club: Greenglass House by Kate Milford



For August's Book Club, we read Greenglass House by Kate Milford. Those attending were Courtney, Elizabeth, Kelsey and Rileigh.  Here are our thoughts...


If I could be a character from this book it would be:

-I would like to be Addie because she's a ghost. I want to be able to walk through walls.
-I want to be Clem because I love her hair and I want to be a cat burglar.
- Milo beause he is a foundling who knows nothing about himself and is trying to find out everything.
-I would like to be the ghost.
-I want to be a ghost but she has such a sad past.


Talk a little bit about family in this story. Could you relate to Milo at all?:

-I can relate to Owen because he didn't know that he had a family related to the house he went to. Once I met a cousin at a party that I didn't even know I was related to.
-Except for Mr. Vinge, it seemed like all the guests and people living at the inn are one big family. They are one big dysfunctional family.


Do you think that this story happens in our world or another one, one in which smugglers are commonplace?: 


-This probably took place in the 1900's.
-There was no TV or modern electronics.



What did you think of the guests? Were they interesting?:


-Two girls who came to the same place to compete for the same man. A couple of smuggler's from an underground train. A lady who went there for a magic item. 2 men who went for the same treasure. Yes, they are pretty interesting.


What do you think about the ending of the book? Was it a good conclusion to all of the adventures?:

-It was awesome.

-I was surprised that Meddy was a ghost. 
-It was a good conclusion.
-I liked how they outsmarted Mr. Vinge and his cronies. 
-I liked how they gave back Doc Holystone's final cargo.


Do you think that Meddy will visit other places when she's not at Greenglass House or does she just disappear?:
-She'll visit other places and help other kids. 
-I think that Meddy can't really leave the area around Greenglass House because that's where she died and that's where she's buried. She may be trapped there by rules of ghosts.


If you were Milo, would you tell your friends at school about Meddy?:

-No.

-I would wait and see if Meddy came back and showed herself to them. Then he could tell them that she was a ghost and her friend.
-It would be hard to keep the secret but if the subject never came up, I wouldn't say anything.
-I would be scared of being sent to a mental asylum.
 

Did you like the author's style? Did you like the bits of humor? How about the threat of violence at the end?:

-I liked the humor of the ghost face.

-I thought it might be boring. But it ended up being an interesting and captivating book. I liked the author's writing style.

 
What's Milo's/Negret's next adventure going to be?:

-Finding the mystery of the stolen underpants.
-Finding more treasure in the attic. There's a lot of cool stuff there.
-His next campaign mission should be exploring the house and finding out more (not dangerous) secrets about it.
-He should explore the dumbwaiter.


Please rate this book from 1-5, with 5 being the best:

-pi
-4.99999999939999995
-5
-5



The book for the next Book Club meeting is Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. We will be meeting on Wednesday, September 9th at 4:00 p.m. Copies of this book will be available behind the Circulation Desk within the next few days. Please come with recommendations for October's Book Club selection. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

June Grades 5 & 6 Book Club: Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor

  For June's Book Club, we read the book  Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor   by Ally Carter.  Nicole, Natalie, and Julianna were...